Rate Hikes & Gold: Bring It On!Stewart Thomson
Nov 10, 2015
- In the short term, gold and related items have a rough general tendency to decline into the US jobs report, and then to rally in the days (and weeks in some cases) following the release of that report.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. That’s the daily chart for Barrick, and it’s rallying nicely, on “post jobs report cue”.
- There’s a beautiful inverse head and shoulders bottom in play, with the decline ahead of the jobs report creating the right shoulder of the pattern.
- A three day close above $8.50 is required now, to launch Barrick towards my $10.40 area price target. All of Barrick’s technical lights are green, and the company has dramatically reduced debt and AISC (all-in sustaining costs).
- Barrick often acts as a “lighthouse” for the entire gold stocks sector. It’s clearly forecasting very smooth sailing ahead, for most gold and silver mining stocks!
- Please click here now. That’s the daily chart for gold. I recommended shorting some gold in the $1170 - $1190 area, as my key 14,7,7 series Stochastics oscillator became dramatically overbought in the 90 area.
- Investors should be covering a solid tranche of those positions now. Watch the short term trend line I’ve highlighted on that chart. An upside breakout appears imminent, and the Stochastics oscillator is now massively oversold, with the lead line sitting at about 3!
- The decline into the jobs report was intense for two reasons. First, El Nino caused rainfall in rural India to come in at about 86% of normal. That meant farmers had less money to spend on gold.
- Regardless, it’s the big picture that matters. On that note, please click here now. The world price of gold could be driven dramatically higher, if Indians become comfortable with buying gold online. Online gold sales have been tried in China, but with only limited success.
- Any company that succeeds in making Indians absolutely comfortable with buying gold online would probably have an effect on the price of gold that is second only to a US financial system implosion. The shocking online demand growth statistics in India, released by online sales company Amazon this morning, suggest that such a situation may be much closer at hand than most analysts realize.
- The second reason for the recent price decline is that gold tends to sell off with significant intensity, ahead of a rate hike by the Fed. The combination of El Nino and the Fed rate hike preparations were a potent short term headwind for gold.
- The good news is that the US dollar typically tends to decline, right after the first rate hike in a tightening cycle. Please click here now. If Pete Fay is correct, and I think he is, the US dollar is poised to begin a significant sell-off in early January, following the Fed’s first rate hike at the upcoming December meeting. That’s fantastic news for gold price enthusiasts around the world.
- Most analysts that think rate hikes are coming, think so because the US economy is improving. In stark contrast, I argue that rate hikes are coming because the economic upswing has been anemic.
- Low rates have pressured savers to pull money out of banks, and gamble their savings in “risk on” markets. That’s created an implosion in money velocity, and while there’s no guarantee that rate hikes will reverse that velocity, the policy of forcing savers to gamble has been a complete disaster.
- Government size and red tape have grown exponentially as rates have stayed low. If rates go any lower, money will pour out of government bonds and into mattresses, making an already horrific situation “beyond horrific”.
- It’s up to Janet Yellen to fix what Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke and US congress have ruined, and I think she will finally begin to do so, starting on December 16th.
- Please click here now. As commodity index expert Jodie Gunzberg notes, energy comprises a staggering 70% of many indexes, and there’s a key divergence taking place now, between energy stocks and energy bonds.
- As the dollar declines when the Fed hikes rates, energy should rise nicely, bringing a new wave of institutional interest to the entire commodity sector.
- Please click here now. Regardless of what happens in America, the global price of gold will ultimately be carried onwards and upwards, by the gargantuan love trade in India, China, and Dubai.
- Dubai’s gold industry moves about $20 billion USD of gold each year, and demand is growing at a solid 8% pace. In contrast, global mine supply is floundering at 3% growth in a good year, and seems destined to flat line.
- Silver jewellery is also becoming popular, especially in India, where demand is skyrocketing. Please click here now. That’s the daily chart of the key SIL-NYSE silver stocks ETF.
- This decline, caused by the jobs report, was “technically necessary”. It created the right shoulder of the significant inverse head and shoulders bottom pattern. That is now in bullish play.
- Note the action of the 14,7,7 Stochastics oscillator, at the bottom of the chart. The lead line is hooking up nicely. Interestingly, this is occurring while many frightened analysts draw huge arrows on their charts, to dramatically lower prices.
- I expect the next COT report to show that major banks have been significant buyers into this decline. I would suggest that all silver stock enthusiasts need to take buy-side action, and do it right now!
Nov 10, 2015
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 26th May 2020
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my “ETFs Versus Individual Miners!” free report. I highlight the unique risks and rewards associated with key individual miners and ETFs, so investors can decide whether to own the miners, the ETFS, or both! I include buy/sell points of action for each item.
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: