Gold: Textbook Pullback In Play Stewart Thomson
Oct 17, 2017
- Gold’s recent rally from the $1268 area lows has stalled, and the reasons for that are both fundamental and technical.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this daily gold chart. Gold fell about $100 from the $1362 area highs as seasonally soft Chinese buying was accompanied by a collapse in Indian demand.
- That collapse was caused by the “Know Your Client” rule imposed by the government on gold jewellery purchases.
- The price decline was exacerbated by the “Golden Week” holiday in China. Also, the Chinese government chopped commercial bank reserve requirements. That created a huge “risk-on” mentality in global stock markets during what is normally a weak period.
- As the Golden Week holiday ended, the US jobs report was released, and the Indian government killed the “Know Your Client” rule.
- Gold surged about $40 higher from the $1268 area Fibonacci line to the neckline of the head and shoulders top pattern.
- Please click here now. Unfortunately, there isn’t enough demand to sustain the rally, and the short term target of $1215 is still a probable one.
- Put options are a nervous gold bug’s best friend, as I’ve repeatedly noted since gold traded above $1330.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this long term gold chart. In the big technical picture, the short term weakness is healthy.
- There are several huge bullish price patterns in play on the weekly gold price charts, including the bull wedge pattern I show here. A pullback to the trend line is normal after a major breakout.
- That pullback is in play now, and it is targeted to end at about $1215, which is also the target of the head and shoulders top pattern.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. That’s another look at the weekly chart.
- In addition to the huge bull wedge, there’s an enormous inverse head and shoulders bottom pattern in play.
- The target of that pattern is at least $1650.
- Please click here now. I consider Jeff Christian to be the Western world’s top gold market fundamentalist.
- He sees the growing institutional investor loss of respect for the Fed as a theme that will continue. That’s good news for gold.
- Jeff and I differ in our short term outlook (I see $1215 as probable and he sees $1340+), but we both are focused on a decent acceleration in upside price action to occur over the next 12 – 18 months.
- That acceleration should begin as gold moves above $1392. January – February 2018 (Chinese New Year gold buy season) is the most likely time frame for that move above $1392 to happen.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this dollar versus yen chart.
- The dollar looks like a train wreck in slow motion. Clearly, the Fed’s rate hikes have been dollar-negative. To make America “great” again, a modern version of the homestead program would be required.
- Going forwards, America would need at least a billion new immigrants with an incredible work ethic to stop China and India from economically leaving it in the dust. That’s not happening now, and it’s not going to happen. The dollar will continue to decline, albeit very slowly.
- More rate hikes will only cause problems for a debt-soaked government that can barely finance itself now. That’s dollar-negative and gold-positive.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this GDX weekly chart. I’ve suggested that nervous investors can use put options to manage that nervousness.
- Those who are flush with cash or new to the gold stocks asset class should have an aggressive buy program in the $23 - $18 price area, in preparation for a sustained uptrend to my $31 and $37 target zones. Keep an eye on Chinese New Year as the time frame to nail the first target at $31!
Oct 17, 2017
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 16th Oct 2018
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “Golden Ten Baggers!” report today! I highlight a key group of gold stocks that seem destined to become ten baggers in a very short time frame. I include key buy and sell points for each stock!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: