September Rate Hike: Upside Launchpad For Gold?Stewart Thomson
Sep 8, 2015
- Whether US equities are in a bear market or not is debatable. Regardless, I think there’s now a 60% chance that Janet Yellen will hike rates on September 17.
- If global stock markets stabilize and rally over the next week or so, Janet will be even more likely to take action.
- Please click here now. That’s the quarterly bars T-bond chart. T-bonds have almost quadrupled, since bottoming in 1981 in the 44 area.
- They are trading in the upper part of the trend line channel now, and technically “due” to decline to the lower demand line.
- For a closer look at the T-bond chart, please click here now. That’s the weekly bars chart. It looks horrible. Clearly, the technical situation of the T-bond market suggests rate hikes are imminent.
- A rate hike could also harm the US stock market. On that note, please click here now. That’s a quarterly bars chart of the Dow, and it looks ominous. Since the 2009 lows, the Dow almost tripled, but volume has steadily declined.
- Since the Dow stopped rising in late 2014, volume has begun to increase again. From a technical standpoint, this is a very dangerous situation. It’s possible that a September rate hike could be the catalyst for a 1929-style crash in the US stock market.
- I bought the Dow in 2008 and early 2009, and sold about 18 months later, for roughly a 100% overall gain. I’m not greedy, and I would not re-enter the US stock market unless the Dow declines to the 14,200 area.
- If Janet hikes rates and the market begins crashing, investors who bought near the 2014 highs would probably panic, and that could create a crash in both stocks and bonds. In that situation, gold and fiat cash would likely be viewed as safe havens.
- Please click here now. Chinese exports declined in August, according to CNBC news.
- I would ask the Western gold community to remember that China’s official government policy is to transition the economy away from exports, and towards domestic consumption.
- On that note, domestic car sales at leading companies in China rose in August. Also, click here now. Barron’s writer Shuli Ren quotes several top economists who believe Chinese exporters may be under-invoicing their customers in the short term. That makes the export numbers look weaker than they really are.
- While I wouldn’t touch the US stock market unless the Dow declines to 14,200, I’m very comfortable buying the stock market indexes of China and India at the current time, and I’m doing so.
- Please click here now. That’s the daily gold chart. A week ago, I suggested gold could decline to about $1110, and do so as the US jobs report was released.
- It went to about $1115. Note the position of my 14,7,7 series Stochastics oscillator now, at the bottom of the chart. There’s still room for gold to decline, but only slightly, before a bigger rally unfolds.
- Gold often declines in the days ahead of the US jobs report, and then rallies significantly in the days/weeks following the release of that report. This time, the situation is more complex, because of the key September 17 FOMC meeting.
- That meeting could mark the end of the bond bull market that began in 1981, about 34 years ago! For gold price discovery in the immediate term, the jobs report is simply not as important as the FOMC meeting.
- Gold feels quite solid ahead of that meeting. To help understand why that is, click here now. Yesterday, China’s State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE) released their statistics for the month of August.
- Interestingly, foreign currency reserves declined, yet gold reserves, IMF reserves, and SDR reserves were all increased modestly. BullionVault reports that China added about 16 tonnes of gold to its reserves.
- I predicted that China’s central bank would begin a modest and transparent buy program in 2015, and now it is here. I realize that some gold price enthusiasts had hoped that China was secretly accumulating thousands of tonnes of gold. They hoped there would be a dramatic event or announcement that would create a parabola move to the upside for the price.
- The reality of Chinese buying is probably much more mundane, but it’s still great news for gold investors. There is a buy program in place now. The monthly purchases appear to be in the 15 – 30 tons range. That is very supportive for gold, especially given the apparent peak in mine supply that is occurring this year.
- As more sizable Chindian players commit to long term gold buy programs (I think India’s central bank will also do it soon), Western gold community investors should feel very comfortable buying modest amounts of gold and related items on any price sale.
- Please click here now. That’s the CRB index quarterly bars chart. I like to use the 14,10,10 series Stochastics oscillator on most of my quarterly charts. It’s reached the oversold area, and enormous rallies have consistently begun from there. The index itself is near massive buy-side HSR (horizontal support & resistance). That extends back to about 1975! Institutional investors with a value orientation are likely buyers of commodity funds now, and that’s also supportive for gold.
- Please click here now. That’s the daily chart for Barrick gold. It could be argued that the recent price breakdown means gold will also trade at a new low, but note the very bullish positive divergence been shown by the RSI indicator at the top of the chart. The 14,7,7 Stochastics series also looks ready to turn higher. Gold has a remarkable history of rallying after the Fed hikes rates. I think the next rate hike could be the catalyst for a major gold stock rally, and it’s likely to start on September 17!
Sep 8, 2015
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 19th May 2020
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “Gold & Silver Junior Shotguns!” report. I highlight key junior miners set for magnificent upside action as gold bullion blasts above $1800. I include key tactics for each stock.
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: