Gold & Silver: Respect The Bar Stewart Thomson
Jun 27, 2017
- At about 4:00am yesterday, gold suffered a dramatic sell-off in just a few seconds. More than 15,000 contracts quickly changed hands on the COMEX.
- This caught most investors by surprise. That’s because they don’t follow the physical market meticulously.
- The supply and demand of physical gold is what drives price discovery in the paper market. The leverage involved on the COMEX, SGE (Shanghai), and the LBMA (London) allows the paper market to significantly magnify the action taking place in the physical market.
- The gold price trends are generally determined by the physical market, and magnified by the paper market. It’s that simple.
- Janet Yellen has stated, “I don’t think anybody understands gold.” I disagree. I’ll suggest that anybody who ignores the physical market will find that most of what happens in the paper market feels like an electric shock. It’s not a shock. It’s a magnification.
- To view the latest key physical gold market news, please click here now. When the major banks stop importing gold into India, even if it’s for just a few days (as it is in this case), a “price vacuum” can occur on the COMEX and/or the LBMA, and do so in just a few seconds.
- That’s what happened yesterday, and the good news is that gold importers may already be close to getting the clarity they seek on the GST tax.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. Gold has a “perky” feeling to it right now, even though the summer typically sees sideways to lower price action!
- I don’t see anything negative on this daily gold chart, and my 14,7,7 Stochastics oscillator is at a point where $50 - $100 rallies tend to begin.
- There’s also a nice positive wedge formation in play. I’m an aggressive buyer in all current price weakness, with a focus on gold stocks.
- On that note, please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this nice GDX chart.
- Many gold stocks surged higher yesterday, even with gold falling by about $20 an ounce. Are these stocks anticipating a reversal in the multi-decade money velocity bear cycle?
- I think so, and that’s why my focus for most new market positions in the precious metal asset class is: gold stocks.
- GDX is trading in a large consolidation pattern, and it has been doing so since February. That’s when physical market demand for the Chinese New Year festival reached a peak.
- There’s nothing strange or “out of place” with the current GDX price action. Gold stocks don’t need a reversal in US money velocity to outperform gold bullion on rallies, but they do need it to stage overall outperformance that is “here to stay”.
- Please click here now. Silver demand is beginning to rise, and the commercial traders appear to be keenly aware of this fact.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this COT report table.
- This report shows the liquidity flows in the COMEX silver market through last Tuesday. These flows are positive. In my professional opinion, the commercial players added even more long positions during yesterday’s 4:00am price drop.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this daily silver chart.
- Silver is now in a key buying area. Silver bugs need to ignore the past and focus on the positive demand in China and the solid COT report.
- I view the entire $17 - $16 price area as a key one for accumulators. Silver bugs can buy every ten cents dip in this zone, and do so with a smile.
- Once the Indian GST rollout is completed, I expect Indian dealers to join their Chinese brethren with strong demand.
- That’s likely what the commercial traders are anticipating, and taking buy-side action now to ensure they are poised to profit from the coming rally.
- The physical market for gold is a very powerful financial force. When that price action is magnified by leveraged players in the paper market, it can affect price discovery in many other major markets. A well-known coffee company says, “Respect the bean”. That may be good advice, but I think it’s vastly more important for gold and silver bugs to “Respect the bar”!
Jun 27, 2017
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 23rd Apr 2019
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “Golden Exceptions To The Rule!” report. I highlight key miners that are blasting higher even with the gold/silver price swoon and I include pinpoint buy and sell trigger points for each stock!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: