Gold Stocks: The New Safe Haven Stewart Thomson
Apr 4, 2018
- Will this Friday’s US jobs report be the catalyst that sends gold above the key $1370 resistance zone and ushers in a new era of institutional enthusiasm for gold stocks?
- Please click here now. Double click to enlarge. The US stock market suffered yet another “cardiac arrest” moment yesterday.
- Market breadth has thinned horrifically, and the low rates and QE that have incentivized corporate buybacks have been replaced with rising rates and QT. That’s akin to replacing a firetruck’s water with gasoline.
- I’ve outlined the case for a possible minor rally in April from current price levels, but the market is so weak internally that it is at risk of a much bigger cardiac arrest event.
- I don’t think Jay Powell will announce a rate hike at the early may Fed meeting, but he might. If he does, stock market investors should be ready to trade in their “Sell in May and go away” mantra for… “Sell in May after getting blown away by Jay.”
- If he wants to do four hikes in 2018 but avoid doing a hike in the September stock market “crash season” month, he is likely to seriously consider doing a hike in May. Are investors prepared for such a surprise? If they own lots of gold, the answer is yes!
- Please click here now. So far in 2018 almost eighteen billion US dollars in institutional money has flowed out of the main S&P500 ETF. This market is very sick, and getting sicker.
- The bottom line: US stock market rallies should be sold and the proceeds should be placed in cash, gold bullion, and gold stocks.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this horrifying T-bond chart. On a day that the Dow Industrials fell more than 700 points at one point, the T-bond could barely rally at all.
- Institutional money managers and sovereign wealth funds are beginning to realize that rate hikes and QT are a tremendous headwind to the US government’s ability to finance itself.
- During the latest stock market mini crashes, they have clearly started to move their focus from T-bonds to gold.
- As more rate hikes and QT create much bigger and more frequent crash events in the stock market, I expect this institutional interest in gold to accelerate.
- Please click here now. Technically, gold’s price action is very impressive. A small head and shoulders top formation was quickly destroyed with yesterday’s safe haven rally.
- Please click here now. Indian demand for the Akha Teej festival is solid. It should serve as great support for an imminent surge through upside resistance at $1370.
- For an important look at that resistance zone, please click here now. Double click to enlarge. Gold is coiling in what I call a bull “super flag” pattern, and seems eager to burst higher in a rally that should carry it to $1425.
- What’s particularly exciting is that in addition to bullion, the GDX ETF is beginning to act as a safe haven!
- “Newbie” investors to the precious metals asset class have memories of the deflationary declines in 2008. They get nervous when they see the stock market fall, and wonder if gold stocks will also fall.
- The goods news for these investors is that the current situation is more akin to the late 1960s or early 1970s than 2008.
- Please click here now. While institutional money is pouring out of stock market ETFs, it’s starting to pour into the GDX gold stocks ETF.
- Inflation is on the move, and savvy institutional money managers are moving their safe haven focus from bonds to gold and gold stocks.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this GDX chart. I’ve urged gold stock investors to be eager buyers of all two and three-day pullbacks. Aggressive players can buy GDX call options and look for 20% gains on those options as a profit booking target.
- For individual stock enthusiasts, the focus should be on the component stocks of the precious metal ETFs that show the best overall performance from 2016 to the present time.
- In the 1970s the famous newsletter writer Harry Schultz was known as the “Dean of Gold”. He promoted the use of two and three-day pullbacks to purchase South African gold stocks. The current price action in GDX and many of its component stocks is beginning to display an eerie similarity to the price action of gold stocks in the early 1970s.
- Gold stock enthusiasts who missed the most recent two-day pullback buying opportunity will have to wait for the next one to get in on the upside fun. Following that pullback, gold and gold stocks could be ready to surf an Akha Teej themed wave, right through $1370 and on towards my $1425 area target price!
Apr 3, 2018
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 25th Sep 2018
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “Golden Seniors Superstars!” report. I highlight eight of the world’s senior and near-senior gold producers that are poised for a serious rally to the upside, with key buy and sell points for each stock! Email me today, and I’ll send it to you on Thursday!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: