Fed Day: Mr. Market Meets Mr. Hyde Stewart Thomson
Mar 20, 2018
- It’s very important for gold, bond, and stock market investors to stay focused on the main fundamental price drivers and ignore what may feel exciting but is largely irrelevant to price discovery. Citizen demand from China/India and US central bank policy are the main price drivers for gold.
- From 1960 to 1980, US recessions were generally inflationary, and the Fed raised rates during that period. Since then, recessions have carried a deflationary theme, and interest rates have fallen.
- In 2013 I began suggesting that the Fed was going to end its deflationary QE and rate cutting programs. A new era of rate hikes and quantitative tightening would begin, resulting once again in inflationary US recessions.
- I’ll dare to suggest that America is now poised to experience its first inflationary recession in almost three decades. Importantly, this is happening while Chinese and Indian citizen demand for gold is beginning to rise after a multi-year lull.
- Ben Bernanke created enormous Main Street deflation with his QE and rate cutting policy. He incentivized corporations to engage in massive stock buyback programs while the Fed itself used printed money to buy government bonds. Small bank regulation made it unprofitable to make loans to small business. Main Street deflated, the labour force participation rate collapsed, and financial assets soared.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this important labour force chart.
- I’ve described Janet Yellen as the “Great Transitionist”. She tapered QE to zero as I predicted she would and began modest rate hikes. It’s clear that the US labour force participation rate bottomed during her tenure as Fed chair.
- Jay “Mr. Hyde” Powell is poised to take her policy to the next level, and launch aggressive QT (quantitative tightening) and rate hikes, and the first of at least eight rate hikes should come tomorrow!
- Wage inflation is poised to surge as the participation rate breaks out to the upside. Unfortunately, because Janet moved so slowly with her rate hikes, this wage inflation is going to occur as the US business cycle rolls over, creating an inflationary recession.
- What does this mean for gold investors? Well, I think a celebratory drum roll is what it means! That’s because nothing is more positive for gold stocks than a long period of stagflation.
- Against a background of a major resurgence in Chindian citizen demand for gold with stagnant mine supply (except for Russian and Canadian mines), a true “bull era” for gold, silver, and companies involved in all facets of the metals business is born!
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this Dow chart. I chart sixty major US stocks, including all thirty Dow Jones Industrials Average component stocks. What I’m seeing is a major breakdown in the health of the market. The market is being carried by fewer and fewer stocks.
- QT and rate hikes are sucking the life out of the market, and I’ve wondered aloud if Jay Powell’s words to stock market investors should be, “Sell in May, or get blown away by Jay!” The bottom line is that Mr. US Stock Market will have his first meeting with Mr. Hyde tomorrow, and I doubt it goes well for Mr. Market.
- The meltdown in breadth doesn’t mean the US bull market in stocks is finished right now, but with the US bond bull market already slain by QT and rate hikes, it’s just a matter of time before Jay Powell pulls the US stock market’s life support plug. I’ve repeatedly told my subscribers that when investment decisions are made, forget about Trump, and focus on the Fed. Simply put, focus on the Fed, or wind up financially dead!
- Investors need to think outside the stock and bond market box to prosper in an inflationary recession. On that note, please click here now. I wasn’t the earliest bitcoin investor, but I certainly was an aggressive bitcoin accumulator in the sub $500 zone.
- Bitcoin currently trades at about $8000. After establishing a core position with an average price of about $200, I’m obviously thrilled to be sitting in “forty bagger” mode today. Blockchain enthusiasts who enjoy this type of sustained wealth building fun can join me at my www.gublockchain.com website.
- It’s important for all investors to understand that at about $20,000 a coin, bitcoin threatened to steal thunder from mainstream media’s darling Dow Jones Industrial Average. An enormous regulatory drive was promptly launched in conjunction with the launch of five-coin bitcoin futures. An expected price correction was created by the regulators. These regulators don’t help investors. They just help themselves by getting salaries to perform useless tasks. Regardless, markets tend to be “here to stay” once these pencil pushers get involved. The bottom line is that regulation lets institutional investors embrace the asset class, and that’s happening now.
- Of great interest to me is the major double bottom that is forming now on the daily bitcoin chart. Importantly, there’s a huge volume spike on the first decline to my $8000 - $5000 buy zone. Volume is low on the second decline to that same $8000 - $5000 area. The volume pattern and the time frame of one to two months between the bottoms is classic “Edwards & Magee” technical action!
- Tom “Mr. Bitcoin” Lee (Ex head of US equities for JP Morgan) just issued a fresh bitcoin target of $90,000 by 2020. That’s possible, albeit aggressive. My intermediate term target of $34,000 is more moderate, more likely to happen, and still a superb gain from current price levels.
- In a stagflationary environment like the one beginning now, bitcoin and precious metals are mostly likely to earn the title, “assets of champions”. Please click here now. It’s very important for gold investors to stay focused on the US central bank, India, and China. Hallmarking and the new spot exchange in India are just two very positive long term drivers of higher gold prices. A “Gold Board” will be launched soon. This board could ultimately have the power to determine the gold import duty rate and other key policy that affects the global gold price.
- My Chinese jewellery stocks that I cover at www.gracelandjuniors.com are soaring higher as Chinese citizen gold buying is accelerating. Australian miners are also doing reasonably well. Investors in most individual GDX and GDXJ component stocks and the “raw juniors” need the patience to wait for US wage inflation and more progress in the Chindian gold markets. Then they can sink their teeth into the glory of new highs across the board for these stocks. It’s going to happen, but realism and patience are required. The seeds of inflation are being sown now. It’s not realistic to demand those seeds become jack in the beanstalk trees too quickly.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this impressive daily gold chart. With “Jay Day” (FOMC decision day) tomorrow, gold is performing admirably in its post Chinese New Year trading. It’s making a beeline towards my $1300 Jay Day target zone. I expect statements from Jay Powell to set the stage for a move above the ultra-important $1370 area resistance zone. That should usher in substantial buying from Chinese citizens who have been quiet for the past few years.
- Please click here now.I’ve predicted that wage inflation and an upturn in US money velocity should arrive by the summer if Jay Powell sticks to his projected actions.
- Most gold investors are not focused enough on buying their favourite gold stocks in the current $21 buy zone for GDX. Instead they are trying to guess when a big parabolic price rise will occur. That type of price action starts at the end of an inflationary period, not the beginning of it. I will say that I’m particularly excited to see the chairman of Barrick (John Thornton) step into the open market and buy more than 300,000 Barrick shares. He obviously sees the current time as one for major gold stock accumulation and I’ll dare to suggest gold bugs around the world need to follow that lead!
Mar 20, 2018
email for questions: email@example.com
email to request the free reports: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Tuesday 23rd Apr 2019
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to email@example.com and I'll send you my free “Golden Exceptions To The Rule!” report. I highlight key miners that are blasting higher even with the gold/silver price swoon and I include pinpoint buy and sell trigger points for each stock!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: