Gold: T-Bonds & Jewellery Are Key
Mar 4, 2014
- The Ukraine crisis may or may not be over. Regardless, the crisis has only resulted in a tiny increase in the holdings of GLD-NYSE, the largest gold ETF. To view the latest tonnage holdings, please click here now . (The holdings are in the lower right hand corner). As gold has rallied, the gold held by GLD-NYSE hasn’t changed much at all.
- On that note, I’ve suggested that the West is still a mover of the gold price, but no longer the prime mover. While interest rates and inflation numbers are still very important drivers of the gold price, the world has essential entered a “gold bull era”.
- This era is themed around gold jewellery demand that should grow relentlessly for decades. It could soon totally overwhelm mine and scrap supply.
- Gold jewellery plays a highly significant role in Eastern culture and religion, and bank economists continue to underestimate the enormous monthly tonnage imports of Chindian (Chinese and Indian) gold dealers. One upside surprise seems to follow another.
- Demand grows relentlessly, because Chindian industrialization grows relentlessly. It’s an enormous multi-decade process that involves more than two billion citizens, who are all potential gold buyers.
- On the supply side, ETF sales are becoming a minor factor, and most of the weak hands there are gone. Gold produced by mines is now the most important supply side price driver.
- Pierre Lassonde of Franco Nevada is a leading mine supply expert. In a recent interview, Mr. Lassonde said he believes that supply will be static for the next five years.
- Even if it increases slightly, few high-grade projects of size are being found, and India’s nation elections are just a few months away. The front runner is Narendra Modi, who is strongly endorsed by India’s most powerful gold jewellery players. As strong as Chindian demand is now, it could become dramatically stronger soon after the election.
- Mainstream media claims that the price of gold has rallied on weak US economic data, but the simple truth is that US economic reports are no longer driving much gold tonnage in or out of physical and paper gold markets.
- Most of the current upside action on the daily gold price chart is thus likely related to insatiable Chindian gold jewellery demand. In my professional opinion, gold would have risen to $1355 this week even if the Ukraine crisis never happened.
- Please click here now . Just as demand is relentless, this key hourly bars gold chart shows gold in a relentless uptrend.
- The daily chart also looks magnificent. To view it, please click here now . Note the middle channel demand line that I’ve highlighted in green. It could serve as decent support on any pullback, and help launch gold into the $1361 HSR (horizontal support and resistance) zone.
- From the $1180 area lows to the $1355 area highs, gold has rallied about $175. It would seem reasonable to expect some kind of a pause in the upside action now.
- Regardless, I would urge investors who bought at higher prices to avoid getting involved in gold market “top calls”.
- Profits can be booked on winning positions, but losses should not be taken by underwater investors who are perhaps overly sure that a substantial correction is imminent.
- Selling a losing position with the hope of getting it back at a lower price is a dangerous approach to wealth building. It generally ends badly for the top caller.
- Many bank technicians now believe gold will reach the $1430 area before there is a serious correction. While a vertical price spike scares away jewellery customers, a “steady as she goes” rise does not.
- If gold continues to rise at this modest pace that I consider ideal, gold dealers will continue to bid for more gold. Their bid could be accompanied by modest hedge fund buying.
- In the big picture, all of gold’s technical lights are green. Please click here now . Double-click to enlarge. In the West, rising T-bond prices (and hence lower rates) are one of the most important gold price drivers. This long term US T-bond chart suggests much higher bond prices are coming.
- Note the buy signals being generated by key technical indicators, at the bottom of the chart. I would argue that T-bonds can rally to 142 quite easily, and likely to the 153 area highs. That could create a substantial move higher in the price of gold!
- As money velocity increases, inflationary pressures could rise. That’s a concern for institutional money managers. They tend to buy gold bullion when they see financial system risks. When they see risks of inflation, they tend to buy gold stocks.
- Please click here now . This daily chart of this coffee ETN (JO-NYSE) shows that the price of coffee has surged about 100% in a very short period of time. Other commodities are joining the rally, and that is getting the attention of inflation-oriented money managers.
- Please click here now . This daily GDX chart shows the price hesitating at HSR in the $27 area. That’s perfectly normal, and not a concern.
- Investors should not be concerned about whether a gold stocks correction is coming or not. It’s irrelevant in the big picture. Rates seem headed lower, and jewellery demand seems headed into the “Pluto zone”. Rather than wasting time worrying about a correction based on the Ukraine situation, gold stock investors should be cheering for a breakout above $27 on the GDX chart, and poised to profit from it!
Mar 4, 2014
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 8th Oct 2019
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “Silver Metal Rats Devour Fiat!” report. I highlight six of the best miners on the planet that are poised for massive upside action, with key buy and sell points of action for each stock!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: