Gold Stock Leaders: Barrick & Newmont
Feb 24, 2015
- The gold market is very firm, given that most Indian players are in “wait and see” mode. Demand in India has slowed tremendously in recent weeks, in anticipation of the February 28 budget release.
- Please click here now. That’s the daily gold chart. When I issued a “book profits now” signal in the $1305 area, I did so because Indian demand was drying up quickly, and because the 14,7,7 Stochastics oscillator was above the 90 level.
- During the ensuing decline from the $1308 area to the $1190 area, the Indian central bank announced more major changes to its gold market policies.
- Banks can make loans to jewellers again, and gold coins can once again be imported.
- This is very good news. Once the budget is announced on Saturday, I expect demand to begin to rise almost immediately, and certainly within a week or two. Also, the March – June wedding season is almost here, and there is a strong possibility that the import duties will be reduced in the budget.
- Please click here now. Koos Jansen follows the Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE) very closely. It’s welcome (and expected) news, to see that India will be the largest partner of the Shanghai Gold Exchange. Clearly, the world gold community has a very bright future, regardless of what happens in America.
- In 2015, gold stocks are acting much better than gold itself, as I predicted they would. I expect this outperformance to continue for many years.
- On that note, please click here now. That’s the daily chart for Barrick. There’s a superb inverse head and shoulders bottom in play. Also, note the beautiful buy signal occurring now, on the 14,7,7 Stochastics oscillator.
- Newmont looks even better! Please click here now. That’s the daily chart. There’s a powerful momentum-style buy signal in play on the Stochastics oscillator, and it comes as Newmont stages a spectacular breakout from a pennant formation.
- Newmont is acting like gold is about to leap $100 higher, and after the Indian budget is released… maybe it will!
- Please click here now. That’s the GDXJ daily chart. While gold has declined about $118 from $1308 to $1190, junior gold stocks have consolidated in what is essentially sideways price action.
- Wage hike pressures in the United States are growing, and I’ve predicted that rate hikes will be required to counter the inflation produced by higher wages.
- Mining companies are in a sweet spot now. Game changing events are occurring on the demand side in both India and China, inflationary pressures are rising in America, and lower oil prices are reducing the costs of mining.
- Please click here now. That’s the daily chart for oil. Most investors never thought oil could fall the way it did, and now many of them are trying to call the bottom.
- I think they are wasting their time and money. The chart looks horrific, and I expect it to look that way for many years, keeping fuel costs low for mining companies.
- Institutional money managers want to invest in markets that have stability, and the changes in India and China are bringing tremendous stability to the world gold market, as is the price of oil.
- There’s more good news for the Western gold community. To view it, please click here now. I’ve never subscribed to the view that banks are carrying giant COMEX short positions that are so big they will blow up the banks, if the price of gold rises. Having said that, banks do operate substantial gold price hedging programs for their clients, and they have a vested interest in seeing their clients make money on those hedges.
- Probes in London have resulted in fines for gold price manipulation, and the LBMA price fixing has been revamped. The new fixing mechanism is much more transparent than the old one. Transparency makes institutional money managers comfortable about placing sizable client money in the gold market.
- Added transparency in the gold market is a good thing. The US Justice Department probe that is underway now should add even more transparency, and that will attract even more money managers to gold stocks.
- Please click here now. This is a nice snapshot of the latest COT report for gold. I’ve highlighted the action of the commercial traders (banks) in green. They have been sizable buyers of gold, into the current price decline.
- It appears they are betting on a duties cut in the Indian budget, but whatever the reason is for their current buy program, the commercial traders have a winning track record. Amateur investors who are shorting gold now, are essentially taking the other side of that trade.
- That’s a dangerous and reckless approach to take in the gold market. As the Indian budget is released, the bearish amateur traders are at great risk of receiving a serious financial beating!
- Please click here now. Janet Yellen is probably best described as the “Queen of fiat”. Statements she makes can affect T-bond prices quite dramatically, and in turn that can have some effect on the price of gold. Janet is scheduled to make some important statements today, and the T-bond chart suggests she will sound dovish.
- To view the chart, please click here now. Note the blue downtrend line on this daily T-bond chart. I predicted that bonds would stage an upside breakout from that line, and they have. I think Janet’s speech today will be the trigger that creates a buy signal on the 14,7,7 Stochastics oscillator. I’ve highlighted that at the bottom of the chart. A surge in T-bond prices is almost always accompanied by a nice rally in gold!
Feb 24, 2015
email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
email to request the free reports: email@example.com
|Tuesday 15th Oct 2019
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send you my free “GOAU Components Action!” report. I highlight the outperformers in the GOAU ETF, with key zones of action for each mighty stock!
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: