Jobs Report Week: Gold Stays Firm Stewart Thomson
Jan 31, 2017
- As I have noted for many years, gold has a rough general tendency to decline ahead of the US jobs report, and then rally in the hours and/or days following the release of the report.
- The next monthly jobs report will be released at 8:30AM on Friday. This report and the closure of the Chinese gold market for the New Year’s holiday should be quite negative for gold, but…
- The sell-off from the $1220 area is orderly, and gold feels firm.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. Gold did break down from a small double top pattern.
- The price target of the pattern is $1170, but there may be an uptrend channel forming. I’ve highlighted that in blue.
- Also, the lead line of the 14,7,7 Stochastics series oscillator that I use exclusively on daily bar and candlestick charts is now sitting at about 50, where momentum-based rallies can occur.
- With China offline and the jobs report dead ahead, why is gold acting so firmly? Well, please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. The US dollar looks very weak on this daily bars chart against the Swiss Franc.
- It’s broken down from a head and shoulders top pattern, and has not rallied since arriving at technical support yesterday.
- The rally could still happen, and that would likely push gold down to $1170 ahead of the jobs report.
- Given that gold has rallied from $1125 to $1220, a decline to $1170 is perfectly normal. An orderly decline like this should not make gold investors nervous.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this dollar versus yen chart.
- All gold community eyes should be focused on the 112.50 price level. A breakdown below that level would almost certainly usher in a gold price rally to my $1250 target zone.
- The Swiss franc, the Japanese yen, and gold bullion are all viewed as key “risk off” assets by bank FOREX traders.
- It’s clear that the dollar is struggling now against both the franc and the yen.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this weekly bars euro versus the dollar chart.
- The euro never rallied against the dollar in 2016 in the way that the franc, yen, and gold did.
- That’s partly because Europe’s economic recovery has been more anemic than America’s, but mainly because euro is not viewed as a safe haven currency by the large bank traders.
- Having said that, most gold price discovery takes place in US dollars, and a rally in the euro could add some zest to the gold price!
- The recovery taking place in Europe now could be enough to reverse the ECB’s policies of QE and low interest rates.
- That would create both European inflation and a euro rally.
- Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge this daily bars GDX chart.
- Gold stocks are performing exceptionally well since gold ran into resistance at my $1220 target zone.
- Can GDX rally to $25 if gold falls to $1170? I think that’s asking a bit much (for now), but GDX should easily rally to $25 if gold can climb back to $1220.
- A rally to $1250 would likely see GDX surge to $28, and a bigger move to $1650 for gold should see GDX make a new all-time high. That’s a bit further down the road, but eager gold stock investors should ensure they are building a solid block of core positions now, to partake in all the upside fun!
Jan 31, 2017
email for questions: email@example.com
email to request the free reports: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Tuesday 19th May 2020
Special Offer for 321Gold readers: Send an email to email@example.com and I'll send you my free “Gold & Silver Junior Shotguns!” report. I highlight key junior miners set for magnificent upside action as gold bullion blasts above $1800. I include key tactics for each stock.
Updates Subscription Service: Note we are privacy oriented. We accept cheques.
And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection
we don't see your credit card information. Only PayPal
|Subscribe via major credit cards
- or make checks payable to: "Stewart Thomson" Mail
to: Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario
L6H 2M8 / Canada
is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland
Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am. The
newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered
point form; giving clarity to each point and saving valuable
Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided
by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes
only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative
that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced
and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before
taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the
world is 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking
or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not
know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly
concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products.
There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with
a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line: